This smoothie is the result of the best ever 3-ingredient nice cream: frozen banana, cocoa powder and peanut butter. I cannot recall who first introduced me to this addictive little treat but I am forever in their debt. Simply blend and enjoy. I find I usually need a splash of milk to make it blend well but either way, it’s a creamy, deliciously satisfying treat.
Of course, I couldn’t stop there. I had to make it even healthier while not sacrificing any of the rich taste that makes you feel rewarded, especially after a hard work out. I’m not a body builder or a competitor (by any stretch of the imagination!) so I am not into all the protein powders to begin with but the nut butters, milk, hemp hearts and flaxseed provide an ample dose for even those who are hardcore. Feel free to play around with it and make your own version!
Serves One – Two
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 frozen spinach cube (or handful of kale, fresh or frozen)
- 1 very heaping tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter
- 1 rounded tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup of unsweetened soy milk (you can use other non-dairy milks but I find they are not as creamy)
Place all ingredients in blender and process on high until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy. Share if you can.