makes 12 – 14 muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole grain whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups of water (you can substitute some or all of the water with an unsweetened non-dairy milk; I used some of my homemade oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I actually completely forgot the salt and they taste fine so if you are watching your sodium intake, feel free to omit this)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together ground flaxseeds and water then set aside.
Put the pitted dates in a small saucepan and pour in just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Set the heat to medium-low and simmer, occasionally mashing the dates with a fork or spoon, until most of the water has dissipated and the dates are very soft and falling apart. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flours, baking powder, and salt (if using).
Place the oil and applesauce in a small blender, add the dates and process until smooth (you will still notice tiny flecks of dates but don’t worry about that); alternatively, place all three ingredients in a bowl and process with a hand blender.
Add the date mixture, along with the ground flaxseed mixture and water to the flour and stir until incorporated. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-corn-muffins/