I have a bit of a salad theme going this week because, as I mentioned in my post earlier this week, salads are all of nature’s gifts in one bowl (thanks Linda!). I have also commented on our family’s love of anything with salsa, so when I wanted a twist on my Everything & Anything Salad, salsa came to mind. It wasn’t too much of a stretch to come up with this salad as my husband has used salsa in the past in place of dressing on his salad. Add some corn, black beans, and avocado and you have the perfect salad to answer your lunch-time fajita cravings without all the unhealthy fat and cholesterol. Speaking of fajitas, this salad would taste awesome wrapped in a whole grain tortilla or topped with crispy homemade baked tortilla strips. If you are an olive lover as is my husband, try throwing a handful of sliced green or black olives on top. Another flavor sensation would be a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro. Sadly I hardly ever get to enjoy the distinctive tones of cilantro because my husband cannot stand it but whenever I get the opportunity, I eat as much as I can.
Happy Salad Fiesta Friends!!
Mexican Salsa Salad
- 1 – 2 cups green or red leaf lettuce or romaine
- 1 cup or more of fresh veggies: grape & orange baby tomatoes, cucumber, red peppers & avocado
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot
- 1/8 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar-flavour Daiya
- 1/8 cup sliced green olives (optional)
In a small bowl, mix together the black beans, corn and salsa; set aside. Place the lettuce in a large bowl or plate and top with the bean-corn-salsa mix. Add the remaining veggies on top of the bean-corn-salsa mix and top with the green onions, Daiya, and olives if using. Grab a fork and enjoy immediately!
- Today’s Recipe: Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Salsa (williams-sonoma.com)